ERBIL — Less than five hours after Monday’s rocket attack on Erbil, Kurdish security forces and the US-led Coalition found the launchers mounted on a vehicle, Kurdistan Region’s Directorate of Counter Terrorism said.
“Following the rocket attack on Monday on Erbil, the capital of Kurdistan Region, security agencies have found the vehicle which had launched the rockets,” reads a brief statement from the DCT.
“More information will be released after the conclusion of the investigations,” it added.
The location of the vehicle was not mentioned in the statement.
At 21:30 local time (+3 GMT), multiple rockets were fired towards Erbil, which landed near Erbil International Airport and on other residential areas.
Kurdistan Region’s Health Ministry has confirmed at least three injuries so far.
Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani has condemned Monday’s rocket attack on Erbil, saying he had spoken with his Iraqi counterpart to find the perpetrators of the “terror attack”.
“I’ve instructed security services to start a full investigation and spoke with PM Mustafa al-Kadhimi on ways to cooperate and identify the outlaws behind this terror attack,” he said in a statement.
Soon after PM Barzani and PM Kadhimi’s phone call, Iraq’s Security Media Cell stated the Iraqi premier had ordered the formation of a joint committee with the Kurdistan Region to investigate the Erbil attack.