MOSUL — After nine months into the military operations to liberate Mosul, Nineveh Operations Command announced on Sunday the start of new push into the Old City, the last district held by the Islamic State (IS) in Mosul. So far, around 40 IS militants have been killed during the clashes inside the district.
The operation is being carried out with participation of the anti-terrorist forces, the Iraqi army and the federal police forces.
Major General Najim al-Jubouri, commander of the Nineveh Operations Command, told BasNews that "the forces began to break into the Old City from three fronts.”
"The Iraqi forces are engaged in fierce clashes with the remaining IS elements in the Old City on the right coast of Mosul," Jabouri said, noting that the security forces managed to liberate nearly 40% of the first neighborhood of the district during the first few hours of the push.
Major General al-Jubouri said that the joint forces killed about 40 IS militants, including suicide bombers and snipers, since the operation began today.