LEEDS — Thousands of Iraqi civilians continue fleeing the western parts of the northern Iraqi city of Mosul, as the military offensive against the Islamic State (IS) advances further into the areas.
Jabbar Hassan, military officer at the Iraqi forces said on Wednesday that more than 5,000 civilians have been evacuated from western Mosul in the past 24 hours. He explained that the Iraqi forces evacuated thousands of families from their homes in the recaptured areas of western Mosul as the forces advance deeper into the IS-held areas.
However, the military officer further said that the relief teams were unable to reach all areas recaptured by the forces due to the serious security instability there. Up to this point, more than 72,000 civilians have fled their homes in western Mosul since the start of the second phase of the operation against IS in the city.
The Prime Minister of Iraq, Haider al-Abadi, launched on the 19th February a new phase of the operation against the so-called Islamic State in Iraq, allowing the government forces to enter the areas in western Mosul a conduct a massive offensive against the IS terrorists. The operation for liberating the city of Mosul started in October last year, forcing hundreds of thousands of civilians to flee their homes.