ERBIL — The Iraqi commander of counter-terrorism forces said that the first stage of Mosul liberation has ended and their forces are about to launch the second stage of the plan.
Abdul Ghani al-Asadi told Al-Ghad press news that the security forces have managed to successfully complete the first stage of the plan to liberate Mosul, noting that the second stage of the plan will start after concluding the preparations on the south, east and northern outskirts of Mosul.
Asadi added that the Iraqi troops are ready to start the offensive and waiting for a command to storm into the city.
He further explained that there is no resistance made by IS on the eastern front lines, and their troops are making an advance backed by air support from the international coalition.
Since October 17, the Iraqi army and Peshmerga forces have launched a massive operation aiming to ultimately retake Mosul from the IS group. They have so far made significant territorial gains and keep on pushing deeper into the IS-held areas.